Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Church of St. Agnes - Iglesia de Santa Inés

The church of St. Agnes, located in the Piazza Navona, is without a doubt one of the most beautiful churches in all of Rome. This Baroque church was built over the ruins of the ancient Stadium of Domitian, and the reconstruction started in the seventeenth century. One century before, the church was privately owned by a wealthy family named Pamphilj. The church served as a family chapel only... what a luxury! There were several architects who participated in the construction of this masterpiece, among them are Francesco Borromini and the famous Gianlorenzo Bernini.

The magnificent church is decorated with amazing paintings and  marble sculptures. Probably, the most impressive interior decoration is the enormous painting on the dome portraying the assumption of virgin Mary to heaven, by Ciro Ferri and Sebastiano Corbellini.

During my visit to this church I was very disappointed because photography was not allowed inside the building. I couldn't take any pictures inside to share with you! I must admit that I was tempted to break the rule and take some photos to show you, but surprisingly a little voice in my head told me to be respectful and just follow the rule. I would not do on to others something I would not like them to do on to me. So, for now, the only pictures I have are from outside the church. In my next few posts, I will be very careful to select churches that allow photography inside.

Thank you for reading my post today. We will meet here tomorrow.

Ciao!!

______________________



La iglesia de Santa Inés ubicada en la Piazza Navona, es sin duda una de las más bellas iglesias en toda Roma. Esta iglesia de estilo barroco fue construida sobre las ruinas del antiguo estadio de Domiciano, iniciando la reconstrucción en el siglo XVII. Un siglo antes, la iglesia fue propiedad privada de una adinerada familia de apellido Pamphilj. Por algún tiempo, la iglesia sirvió únicamente como capilla familiar. ¿Se imaginan teniendo una iglesia privada en plena Roma? ... ¡Qué lujo!

Entre los diferentes arquitectos que participaron en la construcción de esta obra maestra están Francesco Borromini y el famoso Gian Lorenzo Bernini. La magnífica iglesia está decorada con pinturas y esculturas de mármol que a primera vista capta la admiración de los visitantes. A mi criterio, la decoración interior más impresionante es el fresco de la cúpula, en donde se aprecia la escena de la asunción de la Virgen María al cielo, pintado por los respetables artistas Ciro Ferri y Corbellini Sebastiano.

Durante mi visita a esta iglesia no me fue permitido tomar fotografías en el interior del edificio, así que no podré mostrarles la majestuosidad de esta iglesia por dentro. Debo admitir que tuve la tentación de romper la regla y tomar algunas fotos para poder mostrárselas. Pero después de pensarlo por un minuto, decidí acatar las reglas por respeto. No voy a hacer a otras personas algo que no me gustaría que me hicieran a mí. Así que,por ahora, las únicas fotos que tengo son del exterior de la iglesia. En mis próximas publicaciones, voy a ser muy cuidadosa en seleccionar iglesias que no tengan restricciones con fotografías en el interior.

Muchas gracias por leer esta publicación. Nos encontramos mañana aquí mismo.

Ciao!!

-Meylin-


1 comment:

  1. So sad you could not take pictures! But I love the beauty of the church! ❤

    ReplyDelete